“Dr. Bell Pepper” Shakshuka
It’s amazingly difficult to come up with a natty title related to peppers so excuse this one!! It isn’t, however, difficult to appreciate the wonderful health benefits that colorful bell peppers can provide when eaten. So, I’ve made something containing both red and yellow ones to demonstrate how great and easy it is to eat the rainbow.
This baked egg dish is called Shakshuka. It has Middle Eastern origins and has a lot of spicy flavor. I’ve used red bell peppers in the Shakshuka plus yellow ones in the chopped kale salad.
Why Bell Peppers?
Bell peppers contain the antioxidant carotenoid which provides amazing preventative properties to the body (anti-inflammatory in particular). Just 1 cup of chopped peppers of any color provides more than 100% of the daily value of Vitamin C which supports tissue health and immunity. Peppers also provide folate, which works to keep our red blood cells functioning correctly and is especially important for pregnant women because it helps prevent certain types of birth defects in unborn children. A very valuable veggie!
Shakshuka Egg Skillet with Bell Pepper and TomatoesPrint This
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 14 oz. cans of good quality diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin, paprika, chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Small handful of chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy and deep skillet & cook the onions until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and fry gently until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and stir well then add all the spices and mix. Cook for about 10 minutes simmering on a low heat.
- Crack in the eggs one by one and add more salt & pepper to the whole pan. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the eggs are set.
- Garnish with the cilantro and season again with black pepper.
- Serve with a chopped green salad with sliced yellow peppers and a light lemon and olive oil dressing.