PERSONAL GROWTH STRATEGIES MAKE MINDFULNESS EASY
In order to practice mindful eating, you have to be happy with who you are! You have to feel like you’re capable of handling whatever comes your way, and you also have to know that you’re stronger than your biggest challenges. Why? Because mindful eating isn’t easy on its own. And if you feel like you can’t take on the challenge, mindfulness will feel nearly impossible. But don’t worry, mindful eating is possible!
The best news: Mindful eating is also easy if you know the secrets of effective personal growth strategies.
Believe me when I say I would never have found Food Freedom without someone teaching me how to help MYSELF through personal growth practices. Helping yourself through personal growth will allow you to…
- Heal your relationship with food
- Recover from eating disorders
- Practice effective self-care
- Nurture happier relationships
- Heal body dysmorphia
- Love your body holistically
- Manage and prevent stress
But you must, must, must remember not to compare your mindful eating journey to anyone else’s. We’re all unique individuals, so personal growth looks different for everyone. Which is exactly why I tell all of my health coaching clients to climb their own mountain.
REMEMBER TO CLIMB YOUR OWN MOUNTAIN
All climbing your own mountain really means is that your personal growth journey is YOURS. We each have our own struggles, which is exactly why you can’t compare your journey to anyone else’s. Climbing a mountain is strategic, it takes WORK, and it empowers you all at the same time. You WILL reach the top by pacing yourself, climbing one small summit at a time, and recovering after each major climb. Just like in personal growth!
It might be slower than you think to get to the top, but if you keep going… you 100% WILL get there and reach mindful eating victoriously! So don’t give up! Instead…
- Look back and smile at how far you’ve come already.
- Look forward to see how much further you can STILL grow.
- Then look at where you are now and take in the beauty.
You can learn lots of things from sitting on top of a mountain, but my favorite thing is perspective 😉
So always remember to stop comparing yourself to the people around you. You are YOU, and your journey to happiness and mindfulness will never be the exact same as anyone else’s. You will only reach the success of mindful eating if you climb your own mountain, and that I can’t emphasize enough!
5 PERSONAL GROWTH STRATEGIES FOR MINDFUL EATING
1. CONTINUE LEARNING, ALWAYS
Learning is one of my favorite personal growth strategies. But it doesn’t mean you have to hit the books and enroll in a class. Learning is so much more diverse than what “school” was when we were kids. We learn every single day! We learn new cooking skills, relationship skills, career skills, directions to new places…. I mean really, anything counts! The trick is to constantly be open to learning about things you actually enjoy. Here’s how….
- Find a Hobby: Do you love drawing? Maybe pick up some blank cards and start handing those out to friends and family on holidays and birthdays! Watch how much people appreciate your special skills!
- Pursue a Passion: Are you the best cook in the family? Host a pop-up dinner party for your friends! Have everyone give 5-10 dollars and you can prepare them a sensational 5-star meal.
- Learn a Skill: Have you always been interested in yoga? Search Groupon for some yoga studio deals and try out some classes! Watch how motivating pushing yourself to try something new can be!
- Start a Career: Is there a purpose or dream you’ve been wishing to fulfill? Maybe a career change is just what you need! I became a health coach and that has opened so many new doors for me. You don’t have to quit what you’re doing now, but maybe find an online program you can do after work. Either way, start small and see how rewarding pursuing your purpose can be!
Whatever you can do that helps you get joy out of learning… go for it! The joy that comes from trying new personal growth strategies shifts your mindset in a super positive direction. It allows you to gain the happiness and confidence you need to take on the challenge of mindful eating. You got this!
2. CHOOSE THE 5 PEOPLE YOU SPEND THE MOST TIME WITH WISELY
You’re a product of the people that you spend the most time with. So tell me, do you want a life like theirs? If not… shift your time to expose yourself to people whose life you DO want to live! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to remember to not care so much about what other people thought of me. It was incredibly difficult to say to myself, you know what… this relationship isn’t good for me right now, and I walked away! But guess what… it made me a much happier person in the long run!
Who do you have to spend the most time with? YOURSELF.
So treat yourself with compassion, you deserve to be happy! Don’t let yourself be brought down by people who don’t share your dreams for the future. Be friends with people that empower you, love you, respect you, and inspire you. You’re worth it! And when you do that simple thing for yourself, healing your relationship with food is suddenly so much easier 🙂
3. PRACTICE HEALTHY MONEY HABITS
What’s one of the biggest stressors we all face? Money. Financial stress wrecks your happiness. It just does. It impacts your relationships, your mindset, and your freedom. Most simply, it makes it hard to live the life that YOU want to live.
Money is a TOOL when used wisely, but a burden when used incorrectly.
And what does this have to do with mindful eating? Well, a lot. The big secret is, you probably have a negative relationship with food because of stress in some way. Therefore, eliminating stress is powerful! Stress eating is a lot less likely when you’re not stressed! 😉 So get ahead of negative money habits and learn how to manage it wisely.
4. MAKE INSANELY GOOD USE OF YOUR TIME
I constantly check in with myself – “Bree, is this serving you right now?” Yelling at the car in front of me to move faster clearly isn’t working — so why don’t I stop stressing and allow myself to be happy by listening to some music so I can enjoy the ride instead? Exactly… the whole thing is silly! Because the car in front of me is out of my control, getting worked up about it isn’t helping me one bit.
Nothing is less motivating than feeling trapped in your daily routine, which is why learning to ACT instead of REACT is an empowering personal growth skill.
It’s so important to know that YOU have the power to change your life. When you constantly allow yourself to REACT to the world around you, instead of choosing to ACT the way you want to… You’re leaving your future up to someone else. So take control! Stop letting things happen to you and DO something about them. Like….
- Practice meditation like the 2-part breathing technique right here.
- Free up time wasted on your phone with this mini social media detox.
- Stop letting the happiness scam take advantage of your mood.
When you realize that you have ultimate control of your life, the mindset you need for successful mindful eating is within reach! Empowering personal growth strategies make mindfulness so much easier 🙂
5. DIG DEEP TO HEAL OLD WOUNDS
I struggled with an eating disorder and it was one of the most challenging things I’ve ever had to overcome. Looking back, I realize now that my negative relationship with food was because of some super deep stuff I kept pushing down inside me. So trust me, if you have a negative relationship with something… the answer lies DEEP within. Most of the time the ROOT CAUSE is something traumatic or painful from our past that manifested into completely separate areas of our life… like my parent’s divorce being the kick start to emotional eating and my negative relationship with food.
My best advice: if you can dig up the past, heal it, and learn to move forward with it —- THAT is personal growth!
If you can embrace everything about yourself (past, present, and future) then self-love can take you places you never dreamed were possible! When you stop running from your problems and start practicing forgiveness, you will be able to move forward with a clear mind, heart, and soul. And in this inner peace, you can finally embrace the effective and happy mindful eating habits you’ve been working so hard for. If I can do it, you can do it too!
TAKEAWAY: PERSONAL GROWTH STRATEGIES MAKE MINDFUL EATING EASY
The things I’m most grateful for in the whole world? My family and fresh starts. Every day you can choose to be who YOU want to be! So if you want to recover from your eating disorder, if you want to heal gut issues like IBS, and if you want to stop living in a diet-focused world where you never feel good enough…. you can do so at ANY TIME with empowering personal growth strategies.
If you’re ready to start fresh (just like I was!!) Remind yourself what it was like to be that little kid that could play all day long in the leaves and not care one bit about anything else in the world!!
If you’re ready to embrace mindfulness, you can get my FREE Healthy Bliss Ebook and Workbook to learn…
- How to evaluate your food triggers and heal your relationship with food.
- How to start a mindful (and actually mindless!) eating practice that makes you happy.
- 3 immediate ways to start healing your relationship with food, right now.