100% Family Approved
It’s nutty, satisfying, heavenly, pie-licious, and whatever other made up adjectives you can think of that would describe the most perfect pie! It’s the recipe that’s always requested at family parties, and there is never ever any that goes to waste. While blueberry is always a hit, you can even use this crust with any of your favorite pie fillings like cherry, mixed berry, and apple.
The Nutty Buttery Crust
Besides being delicious…The best part is there is no waiting! There’s absolutely no need to chill it in the refrigerator before rolling it out on a floured surface. In fact you don’t even need to roll it out! IT’S SO SIMPLE. Just mix the ingredients, shape it against your pie dish, then bake it!
Now for the incredible flavor. The 1/2 cup almond meal is the most crucial ingredient in this recipe. It takes the pie to a whole new level because it adds a texture and flavor that traditional pies don’t have (but wish they did!). Almond meal is nutty and warming compared to neutral flours, so if I do say so myself, this is really what makes the pie so delicious.
The Sweet and Gooey Filling
The blueberry filling is sweet and satisfying, yet it won’t give you a sugar rush (or be so sickeningly sweet like most pies). Since blueberries become naturally sweeter when baked, I didn’t need to add a lot of sweetness to the recipe. In fact, just a touch of maple syrup is used to sweeten the entire pie!
Blueberry Pie Bars
This pie recipe can also make yummy blueberry squares! Simply follow the recipe below, but use a small square dish instead of a round pie dish. Or you can just cut the round pie into bite-sized pieces, which is what I did 😉 It makes it easy for grabbing a piece at a party where you don’t want to have to make a mess cutting up a whole pie. It’s so easy when everything is cut, plated, and ready to dig into!
Healthy Blueberry PiePrint This
- Healthy Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot starch, garbanzo bean flour, or non-GMO corn starch
- Prepare the top and bottom Healthy Pie Crusts.
- Add all the blueberries, syrup, lemon, and starch to a medium-sized pot over high heat. Let the berries cook until the juice from the berries has been released and the berry juice starts to bubble. Reduce the heat to medium/medium-high and simmer until the mixture has thickened, stirring often so it doesn’t burn.
- Fill the pie crust with the cooked blueberries, then carefully slide the top crust on top of the filling. (The trick is to make sure the top crust is free from the parchment paper, then gently lift up the ends of the parchment paper so you can slide the crust on top of the pie.) Bake the pie for 35 minutes.
- After the pie has baked, switch your oven to broil. Place your pie in the top third of your oven and broil just until the top crust is golden brown – be careful not to burn it as it only take a few minutes! (a picture of my pie before and after broiling is shown below)
- Let cool, then slice and enjoy blueberry heaven! Eat plain or top with yogurt, ice cream, or fresh whipped cream.