Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!! These healthy homemade dark chocolate peanut butter cups are dangerously good in the safest way possible. I mean how can you go wrong with such a classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter? Plus, they couldn’t be easier to make. We’re talking only 3 ingredients and minimal work for the healthiest homemade candy ever. All you need is chocolate, a touch of coconut oil, and nut butter. They’re super decadent without being over the top sweet, and you definitely feel good indulging in these peanut butter cups because they have no junky ingredients!
Pick Your Flavors
If you like traditional peanut butter cups, or you want to switch up your flavors, then this is the perfect healthy recipe for you! Plus it takes less than 20 minutes to go from ingredients to a mouth full of chocolate…. what can be better than that? The first thing you have to decide on when you make this recipe is your flavor combination. You have to pick your favorite filling, and your favorite chocolate “cup”! That means you can choose almond butter or peanut butter – whatever you like. Here are some options:
- Peanut butter (Classic)
- Almond butter (Sort of classic)
- Coconut butter (Woah there)
- Mix of all three (How you doin’? – Joey Friends reference!)
- Deep dark chocolate (70%+)
- Dark chocolate (60-70%+)
- Dark chocolate with added ingredients – mint, raspberry, coconut, cacao nibs, coffee beans, etc.
Healthy and Homemade
Since we’re making our own delicious dark chocolate peanut butter cups, we get to avoid all the yucky ingredients in traditional candy peanut butter cups. They have no bad fats, have a lot less sugar, and satisfy your sugar cravings without going overboard. I swear that one Halloween in middle school I became addicted to the iconic peanut butter cups! I I must have eaten 5 every day for a month after Halloween. The funny thing is I never used to like them. But one day I changed my mind and I never looked back. Now peanut butter has become one of my true loves, but I’d never go back to the sugar bomb, candy coated versions that need preservatives. I’m talking to you, orange package. That’s why I made my healthy version, so I can eat delicious desserts and still feel amazing!
Healthy Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter CupsPrint This
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Silicone cupcake tin
- Add dark chocolate chips and the coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, then stir. Heat in 15-30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Fill mini silicone cupcake tins with the melted chocolate (about 1/3 of the way up). Smooth the chocolate out and spread some of the chocolate up the sides of each cupcake hole. Let cool in the freezer (5 minutes).
- Add a small scoop of your nut butter (I did some with pb and some with almond butter) on top of the hardened chocolate bottom. If you leave the nut butter more in the center, (don’t spread it out) the nut butter doesn’t leak out as much when you bite down.
- Cover the nut butter the rest of the way with the chocolate. Freeze the cups until they’re hard (10 ish minutes) then pop em’ out! Store extras in the fridge or freezer.
Filling options include almond butter, peanut butter, coconut butter, or any other nut/seed butter. Chocolate options include dark chocolate, milk chocolate, flavored chocolates (mint, raspberry, etc.).