Waffles, Oh Please. Make Belg-YUM Waffles!
Waffles are an amazing weekend brunch. Who doesn’t love a good waffle? They’re light, fluffy, crispy, and absolutely delicious! They’re also super healthy because you know me, I always find a way to get the flavor I want without sacrificing on food quality.
You can even make these and freeze them! All you have to do is individually wrap them in plastic wrap, then put them in a ziplock and throw them in the freezer. In the morning, just take one out and toast it up for a yummy, simple breakfast any day of the week.
I topped mine with fresh strawberries, blueberry sauce, peanut butter, and cinnamon. But you can also use dark chocolate chips, greek yogurt, maple syrup, coconut cream, honey, or pretty much any other thing that makes your waffle dreams come true.
Why Are They Healthy?
This recipe is gluten-free & grain-free. Since it’s just almond meal and almond flour, these waffles are paleo-friendly and actually low carb too. I also made this a low-sugar recipe, so there’s just 2 tbsp. maple syrup in the whole batch!
Belg-YUM WafflesPrint This
- 2 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (or spelt flour - but spelt flour is not gluten free or paleo)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted + more for greasing
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. each vanilla extract and almond extract (or 2 tsp. vanilla)
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond extract. Add the water to the bowl, then mix again to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they’re foamy and light. Add the whisked egg whites to the bowl with the yolks. Add the bowl of liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Combine.
- Heat your waffle iron, then grease it with coconut oil. Cook your waffles according to your iron’s instructions, and until they’re nice and crispy on the outside – enjoy!
.What’s your favorite thing to top your waffles with? Comment below!