Healthy Chocolate Cake
Who doesn’t love a chocolate cake? Okay…. well, unless you don’t like chocolate, you are going to LOVE this healthy chocolate cake recipe! It’s super chocolatey, fluffy, moist, and everything you want chocolate cake to be. In my opinion, a good chocolate cake should be so decadent you only need one piece – but also so perfectly balanced in flavor that you want to eat the entire cake 😉 The thing is, almost everyone in my family is a chocoholic, but the dark, not too sweet chocolate is the kind we like best! We want the cake to be sweet enough to be called a cake, but we also want it not too be so sweet that it leaves you feeling like your sweet tooth can’t even handle it. And ooooh trust me, I delivered on that!
The Best Healthy Cake Ever
We sincerely apologize for the lack of this healthy chocolate cake in your life! Mick and I were thinking of what new recipe would be best to share, and we realized we had no dessert recipes for a chocolate cake – I mean, who does that to people… That’s when this recipe became the top priority in the recipe developing department (aka Bree’s to-do list), and thankfully so! Mick also challenged me to create something without any coconut because so many of my dessert have a coconut flavor to them. Oooops! But what can I say, I love coconut 😉 But no worries, I followed through on the challenge! This paleo chocolate cake is allllllllllll about the chocolate, and it’s only made in one bowl and comes with a ridiculously easy two ingredient chocolate icing. Praise the chocolate gods!
Why is it Healthy?
For starters, there’s no box! This paleo recipe is fresh, made from scratch, and made with the best ingredients.
- It’s free of refined flour, sugar, or vegetable oils.
- The only sweeteners in this cake comes from 2 tbsp. of maple syrup, 1 banana, and the chocolate chip icing.
- It’s gluten-free – the only flours are almond flour and coconut flour.
- It’s low carb and low sugar – basically you get a green pass to avoid the crazy blood sugar crash after you eat it.
The Perfect Celebration Cake
Make this cake for…
- Birthdays – just add some pretty, sparkly candles.
- Valentine’s Day – make a heart out of chocolate chips and coconut like I did here!
- Any kind of celebration – top with pretty colored sprinkles to give it some excitement.
- Or any moment you’re ready to dive into some CHOCOLATE.
Healthy Chocolate Cake (One-Bowl Paleo Recipe)Print This
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut four
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (almond or dairy)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Icing: 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips melted with 2 tbsp. coconut oil (or to consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients) in a large bowl, then mix to combine. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the icing, then mix well until the batter is smooth.
- Line an 8″ cake pan with parchment paper. Fill the pan with the cake batter, then bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing by melting the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in the microwave. Add more chocolate if you want it thicker, or more oil if you want it thinner. Spread the frosting on the cake and top with extra chocolate chips for decoration if desired. Enjoy!
The cake is super moist - if you don't line it with parchment paper, it may be too difficult to get it out of the pan without breaking the cake.