It’s All About The Sauce
Do you love Sweet and Sour Chicken? If you said yes, you’re about to be the happiest person ever! I made this 2-ingredient sauce because I want to indulge in delicious foods, but I refuse to eat the MSG, preservatives, soybean oil, and high fructose corn syrup junk that’s in takeout and store-bought sauce.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
This healthy Sweet n’ Sour Chicken is INSANELY delicious… and it makes you feel AMAZING, not disgusting. While I admit it’s not the healthiest meal (it’s still a sweet and sticky sauce) it’s 1,000,000 times healthier than any other authentic Sweet and Sour Chicken dish. Plus the sauce couldn’t be easier to make!
Sweet and Sour ChickenPrint This
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch (or non-GMO corn starch)
- 1 tsp. each sea salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/3 cup fig jam
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes. Then, in a bowl large enough to fit the chicken, combine the starch and spices. Add the chicken, then mix well to make sure all of the chicken is coated evenly in the seasoned starch.
- In a small bowl, combine the fig jam and hot sauce.
- Heat some avocado oil in a large pan over high heat, then add your coated chicken. Allow the chicken to brown on all sides, making sure there is enough oil and the heat is high enough for the chicken to get crispy and slightly brown in color (about 5 minutes).
- When the chicken is cooked through, add your sauce to the pan. Toss the chicken in the sauce to make sure everything is coated evenly. Cook on medium heat until the sauce starts to caramelize and become extra sticky on the pan (about 3 minutes).
- Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds, then serve!
A large, non-stick pan works best for this recipe.