Diner Style Home Fries
You know those home fries that you feel like you can only get at a diner? The ones that are sooo good and that you can’t seem to replicate at home? Well these are even BETTER! They’re incredibly delicious, have a super fluffy inside, a perfectly crispy outside, and they’re made with healthy ingredients! Trust me, you’re going to want these every morning.
Leftover Potatoes Work the Best
I find leftover potatoes make the best home fries because they have time to dry out. A lot of the times if you use freshly cooked potatoes, it’s difficult to get that nice crispy finish that makes home fries so great. I also prefer white potatoes over sweet potatoes in this recipe because they also tend to crisp much nicer.
Crispy Smashed PotatoesPrint This
- Cooked and cooled potatoes *leftover potatoes are best*
- Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, sea salt, pepper
- Pinch of cayenne, optional
- Avocado oil
- Take the palm of your hand and press down on each potato – just enough to smash it so that the potato has a flat surface.
- Heat some avocado oil in a pan over high heat. *Pans that are NOT non-stick work the best for getting the potatoes crispy – You also want to use enough oil to coat the entire bottom of the pan with a thin layer of oil.*
- Add the smashed potatoes to the pan, then generously add your seasoning over the top of the potatoes (if you feel like you are over seasoning them – that’s the amount you DO want).
- Allow the potatoes to cook on the bottom until they’re golden brown and crispy – make sure the heat is high enough if they’re not crispy like you want.
- Once the potatoes start are crispy on the bottom, flip the potatoes over so that they crisp on the other side. Taste, then add more seasoning if needed, then serve!
Small fingerling potatoes and regular white potatoes are both great for this recipe. Leftover potatoes are best because they become more starchy and dry when they are cooled - which allows them to become crispy and delicious home fries!